A FREIGHT TRANSPORT CHAIN CHOICE TAKING ACCOUNT THE UTLITY
Klíčová slova:Utility, rail transport, water transport, freight
The paper describes the problematice of a freight transport supply chain choice taking account the utility. The utility function is mostly calculated from the container transport statistics. Container transport refers to the transportation of goods in standardized re-sealable transportation boxes by rail and sea. The utility theory is mostly connected with the consumer and consumption theory. When thinking of transport services, demand (consumer) and suppliers influence the decision making process of transport. Three key factors are identified: environmental efficiency, time
and transportation capacity
(2) KONINGS, R.; PRIEMUS,H.; NIJKMAP, P. The Future of Intermodal Freight Transport Operations. Design and Policy, 2008, Edward Elgar Publishing
(3) WOODBURN, A., ALLEN, J., BROWNE, M., LEONARDI J. The Impact of Globalisation on International Road and Rail Freight Transport Activity – Past Trends and Future Perspectives. OECD/ITF Global Forum on Sustainable Development: Transport and Environment in a Globalising World, Guadalajara, Mexico (2008)
(4) GORTNER, H. F.; NICHOLS, K. L.; BALL, C. Organization theory: A public and nonprofit perspective (3rd ed.), 2007, Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
(5) MADLENAKOVA, L.; MATUSKOVA, M.; MADLENAK, R. Solutions of the Roller Conveyor in Terms of Logictics Provider. Advances in Science and Technology Research Journal, 2018, vol 12 (4), pp. 1-9
(6) HANSUT, L.; DAVID, A.; GASPARIK J. The Critical Path Method as the Method for Evaluation and Identification of the Optimal Container Trade Route between Asia and Slovakia. In 17th International Scientific Conference on Business Logistics in Modern Management, Osijek, Croatia, October 12 – 13 2017. Book Series: Proceedings of International Scientific Conference Business Logistics in Modern Management pp. 29-42.
(7) WILLIAMS, CH. M.; HESTER, P.T. A Readiness Decision Model for Canceling Navy Ship Maintenance Availabilities, in Kenneth D. Lawrence , Gary Kleinman (ed.) Applications of Management Science (Applications of Management Science, Volume
18), 2017, Emerald Publishing Limited, pp.147 – 166.
(8) COREJOVA, T.; AL KASSIRI, M. The Power of Knowledge-Intensive Services. In 4th International Conference on Social Sciences and Society (ICSSS 2015), Paris, France, May 20-21 2015. Book Series: Advances in Education Research, vol.70, pp. 354-357.
(9) HUDAK M.; MADLENAK R. The research of driver´s gaze at the traffic signs. In CBU International Conference on Innovations in Science and Education (CBUIC), Prague, Czech Republic, March 23 – 25 2016. Book Series: CBU International Conference
Proceedings, pp. 896-899
(10) WOOD,D.A., KHOSRAVANIAN, R. Exponential utility functions aid upstream decision making, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering,Volume 27, Part 3,2015,Pages 1482-1494,ISSN 1875-5100, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jngse.2015.10.012.
(11) LINDBLOM, C. E. The science of “muddling through”. Public Administration Review, vol. 19(2), 1959, pp. 79–88.
(12) PENYALVER, D.; TURRÓ, M.; ZAVALA-ROJAS, D. Intergenerational perception of the utility of major transport projects. Research in Transportation Economics, vol. 70, 2018, pp. 97-111.
(13) LEWIS, A. A focus group study of the motivations to invest: "Ethical/Green" and "ordindary" investors compared. Journal of Socio-Economics, 30, 2001, pp. 331-341.
(14) MCLACHLAN, J.; GARDNER, M. A comparison of socially responsible and conventional investors. Journal of Business Ethics, 52 (1) 2004, pp. 11-25.
(15) VON NEUMANN, J.; MORGENSTERN, O. Theory of Games and Economic Behaviour, 1944, Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton
(16) BEN-AKIVA, M.E.; LERMAN, S.R. Discrete choice analysis: theory and application to travel demand MIT Press, 1985, Cambridge
(17) CASCETTA, E. Transportation System Analysis: Models and Applications. 2009, Springer, New York
(18) DAVID, A., PIALA, P.; STUPALO, V. Cargo Containerisation and its Impact on the Development of Maritime Transport. In 3rd International Conference on Traffic and Transport Engineering (ICTTE), Assoc Italiana Ingn Traffico Trasporti Res Ctr, Belgrade, Serbia, Nov 24-25, 2016,
pp. 306 –311.
(19) DAVID, A., PIALA, P. Transport of Tropical Fruits to Central Europe. NASE MORE, 2016 vol 63, pp. 62-65
(20) STALMASEKOVA, N., GENZOVORA, T., COREJOVA, T. The impact of using the digital environment in transport. In 12th International Scientific Conference of Young Scientists on Sustainable, Modern and Safe Transport Location: High Tatras, Slovakia, May 31- June 02, 2017. Book Series: Procedia Engineering, vol 192, pp. 231-236
(21) MADLENAK, R.; MADLENAKOVA, L.; STEFUNKO, J.; REINER, K. Multiple approaches of solving allocation problems on postal transportation network in conditions of large countries. Transport and Telecommunication Journal, vo. 17 (3), 2016, pp.https://doi.org/222-230, 10.1515/ttj-2016-0020
(22) DEDIK, M.; GASPARIK, J.; ZAHUMENSKA, Z. (2018) Proposal of the Measures to Increase the Competitiveness of Rail Freight Transport in he EU. NASE MORE, vol. 65, Issue 4, pp. 202-207.
(23) VITTEA, A. A quantum utility model for route choice in transport systems. Travel Behaviour and Society, vol. 3, 2016, pp. 29 – 37. Available at:
(24) EUROSTAT (2018) Statistics. Available at:https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat
(25) OECD (2018) Statistics Available at: http//www.oecd.org
(26) DESERPA, A.C. A Theory of the Economics of Time. The Economic Journal Published by: Wiley on behalf of the Royal Economic Society, Vol. 81, No. 324, 1971 pp. 828-846 Available at: https://www.scribd.com/document/376623980/De-Serpa-1971
(27) JONG, G.; KOUWNHOVEN, M. Productive use of travel time, values of time and reliablity in The Netherlands. OECD, 2018. Available at:https://www.itfoecd.org/productive-use-travel-time-values-time-and-reliability-netherlands
(28) SAATY, T.L. Resource Allocation. Analytical Hierarchy Process: Planning, Priority Setting, 1st ed.; Thomas L. Saaty; McGraw-Hill: New York, USA, 1980; pp. 20–108.
(29) VINNES, H.; FRIDELL, E.; YARAMENKA, K.; NELISSEN, D.; JASPER, F.; AHDOUR, S. Nox controls for shipping in EU Seas. Commissioned by Transport and Environment, 2016, pp 1-84. Available at:https://www.transportenvironment.org/sites/te/files/publications/2016_Consultant_repo